Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Looking Ahead

The week between Christmas and New Year's is one I always enjoy. The last minute hustle-and-bustle of getting ready for the "Big Day" is behind us, and it's time to look towards ringing in yet another New Year.

Christmas in our home this year was a most magical one. I haven't enjoyed a "Baby's First Christmas" in 8 years and had forgotten just how amazing it is to witness. Of course, the excitement can vary a bit depending on baby's age at the time (my little princess was less than 2 weeks old her first Christmas and from what I recall, slept most of the day away!).

But to see a happy, vibrant 10 month old's face on Christmas morning is the greatest gift. Watching her learn to rip wrapping paper (and try to eat it!), seeing her laugh and clap, and just seeing the looks of pure love on the faces of everyone in that room. It was all such an overwhelming feeling of happiness and peace.

The day after Christmas, I received an upsetting text from my snow sister. She'd started spotting a bit the day before and was concerned. I couldn't feel her pain or anxiety more. As I've mentioned several times before, I suffered with a subchorionic bleed for my entire pregnancy with Ava. It was the most terrifying, horrific (almost) 9 months I've ever lived through and prayed she wasn't experiencing the same. Yet I couldn't bring myself to think it could possibly be anything worse. I somehow felt in my heart that that baby was just fine.

Nonetheless, it was a long two days between her text and her ultrasound appointment yesterday. I have a Black.Berry and sat there staring at my phone all morning waiting for that little red light to start blinking, indicating that I had a text waiting.

And today I am elated to report that little bean is looking strong and beautiful as ever. Thriving.

In her own words, "it's going to be a long 9 months", and indeed it is. But a glorious 9 months.

I've started doing a great deal of soul searching thinking about what a blessed year I've had in 2010, and how I really want to focus on paying it forward in 2011 and beyond. I feel like I'm off to a pretty good start.

What makes me even happier is that after my fiance, the first texts I sent after receiving her update were to my daughters. And they were celebrating.

Two families half a country apart joined by this precious little miracle.

2010 was a banner year indeed.

2 comments:

  1. You my friend have paid it forward in an incredible way this year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This, to me, is one of the most amazing parts of Embryo Adoption.
    "Two families half a country apart joined by this precious little miracle."

    Awesome!
    http://funnylittlepollywogs.com

    ReplyDelete