Sunday, November 7, 2010

Days They Don't Mention In The Mom Handbook

Well, it's been another crazy weekend around these parts, and it ain't over yet! I should probably preface my weekend by giving you a brief glimpse into my week. My company is being sold. Or depending which article you read, "merged" with another company. And as anyone who's been through something like this before can tell you (I have), there will inevitably be layoffs. For me, it is a bit scary of course (holidays just around the corner, 5 kids!, etc.) and I'm still a relative "newbie" compared to most of my coworkers. I've been there for almost 5 years, but only had a maybe a year left (max) regardless. Not sure if I've mentioned this before, but I am actually a full-time student in addition to working full time and being VERY MUCH a full time mom! I'm only a couple semesters away from obtaining my teaching degree and I am ecstatic beyond words. This is something I've wanted to do for a very long time, and about four years ago, finally decided to go for it! But needless to say, my job status aside, this news about my company did put a damper on my overall mood for the week...big time.

Friday night rolled around just in time to help restore my sanity! Came home from work with plans to take our 2 youngest over to our friends' house to hang out for the evening. And so I enjoyed a much needed glass of wine, made some (if I do say so myself) delicious buffalo chicken dip, and off we went! We spent several hours laughing, eating, drinking and just unwinding. Just what the doctor ordered. Saturday's primary goal was cleaning, and for the most part, that mission was accomplished. Then around 1:30, it was time to roll out for my son's final soccer game of the season. My fiance had to work, so I rushed to get my son (along with Lil Miss) off to the field in time, which is a half hour away. I drop my son off at the field, and go to find a parking space that's hopefully less than a mile away (tons of fields at this facility!). I managed to find a spot not completely surrounded by mud (we've had a mini monsoon this week), get out the ole stroller, and lift Lil Miss out of her car seat only to discover she's soaked. Now, she had a fresh diaper when we'd left the house only a 1/2 hour earlier, so I was dumbfounded. Turns out, it wasn't #1 but the dreaded #2 in it's worst form (insert collective EWWWWWWWWWW here). problem...lay her down on a blanket in the back seat, grab the diaper bag, only to guessed diapers! And no change of clothes! In my rush to get out of the house, I'd completely forgotten to check for reinforcements. Awesome.

So I strap poor Lil Miss back in her seat, locate my son's coach to let her know I'd be back in a jiff, and head off to the nearest store to get diapers.  A half hour later, my daughter (in a fresh diaper and a too small onesie that was buried in the bottom of her diaper bag) and I proceeded to watch her brother's game from the heated comfort of my car since she was without clothes and it was about 55 degrees outside! Well, I'd had to pull up close to the field to get a spot to watch the game, and unknowingly...yes...pulled right into a MUD PIT which I discovered as I went to back out after his game. Double awesome. So being that close, I had a captive audience while 3 wonderful soccer dads proceeded to push me out of said pit. One knocked over trash can and several dozen hysterically laughing kids later, I was on my way. Aaahhh, motherhood...

My plan for today is to lay very low (hide if necessary). There will be coffee and warm blankets and chick movies. And (fingers crossed) nothing that involves mud or explosive diarrhea.

Happy Sunday.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, definitely rough day...glad there were some kind people there to help out when needed! Today sounds wonderful though, doing about the same here knitting, some (decaf) coffee and that part of Sundays.
    Hope you come out of the merger alright and don't have to endure too much job stress. Will be thinking of you and praying everything works out.