Saturday, November 20, 2010

Happy National Adoption Day

I was skimming through the news today when I came across a beauitful article about a local event held in honor of National Adoption Day. Any other year I probably would have glimpsed the headline and moved on to the next article. But this year is different.

The National Adoption Center has a motto which states: "There are no unwanted children, just unfound families." Such a short quote, yet so incredibly profound in meaning.

I have always thought of adoption as one of the most tremendously selfless gifts one person can offer another. As a mother who has been blessed to carry and deliver all five of my own children, I cannot imagine the courage, the resolve that a woman must possess to carry a child for nine months only to relinquish it to another woman's care. In my eyes, that is cutting to the deepest, rawest core of motherhood that exists.

It is the very defintion of unconditional love.

Yet I continue struggling to find a place for myself in this world. Although I am technically the source of the eggs which produced these six precious embryos, and any children born will consequently be "legally adopted" by our donor recipient family, what does that make me? Obviously not a "birth mother" as I am not carrying the child(ren), and I dare say not even a "first mother", again because I am not bearing these children.

However, an undeniable connection exists.

These six embryos exist for one reason. Because of the profound love between myself and my fiance. When we are married, our wedding song will be "God Bless the Broken Road" by Rascall Flatts. It speaks perfectly to our life's journey that brought us together:

"Every long lost dream led me to where you are...
Others who broke my heart they were like Northern stars...
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms...
This much I know is true...
That God blessed the broken road...
That led me straight to you..."

"I think about the years I spent, just passing through
I'd like to have the time I lost, and give it back to you
But you just smile and take my hand
You've been there, you understand
It's all part of a grander plan that is coming true..."

Oh yes. It is most certainly a grander plan that is coming true.

So thank you God for leading me to this unbelievably amazing man. Thank you for recognizing our desire to share our love by having a child, and leading us down the path of IVF.

Thank you, thank you for the gift of our precious baby girl.

And finally, thank you for leading us to such a loving and wonderful family to adopt our six snowbabies.

Their family has been found.

1 comment:

  1. You'll be their genetic, or biological mom! Love the Rascal Flatt song :)

    ReplyDelete